Each year, the Friends of St Julitta’s produce an annual report, which contains accounts of the highs and lows of the year.
In 1996 the two church buildings in Capel Curig were advertised for sale by the Church in Wales. Two local residents, Jill Tunstall and Harvey Lloyd, were concerned about the future of the old church, St Julitta’s, and as a result of local support, the Friends of St. Julitta’s was formed as a registered charity, which in 1998 took responsibility for the preservation of the church and maintenance of the old churchyard on a 99-year lease subject to a peppercorn rent.
Initially an architect was employed to examine the building and draw up a plan for repairs. By 2001 the Bier house had been rebuilt to provide a store, all the windows had been replaced, new cast-iron rainwater goods fitted, the outside stonework repointed with lime mortar, the bell cote reconstructed and repairs undertaken inside the building to the oak roof beams and plasterwork. A disabled access was constructed to both church and churchyard. Except for a small grant for the latter, all the work was financed by voluntary donations, with much undertaken by voluntary labour, a great deal of it overseen by Major Peter Kirby, a resident of the village. Future plans include the installation of mains electricity, the improved rain water drainage around the outside of the building and the replacement of the existing floor with slate slabs more in keeping with a medieval building and returning the pulpit to its original site.
In July 2017 a gathering of friends and relatives gathered at the church to dedicate the table and celebrate the life of Peter Hutton, sadly missed by the Friends of St Julitta’s . Peter from the earliest foundation days was instrumental if supporting many of the projects involve in the restoration of the church. The picnic table, now sited in the churchyard and purchased through donations from Peter friends was dedicated in his memory. It is hoped that the table will first of all attract more visitors to the church , and in so doing encourage further the work that Peter was involved with and so freely gave.
Regular working parties are held to maintain the churchyard, and a churchyard trail booklet, available in Welsh and English, tells visitors about some of the many interesting memorials. The Friends have also recorded the grave inscriptions: these and a booklet of the Bishops’ Transcripts of baptisms, marriages and burials for the period 1754-1838 are on sale as an aid to family historians tracing their roots in the Capel Curig area.
The Friends have produced a Church guide, a 28 page colour booklet entitled The Churches of Capel Curig gives the history of the medieval church and also a brief history of Christianity in the village - available in Welsh or English - see Publications.